Wednesday, August 24, 2005

A bit about me...

Here's my first "official" post, one I'm pleased to put out and hope that someone reads it. Introducing myself seems like the thing to do. So, here's some for the statistics junkies out there...

I'm twentysomething, about 5'10", Scottish/Irish/English descent born and living in Canada. I was raised Presbyterian, but in my early teens I became disillusioned with organized religion and decided to give nihilism/agnosticism a try. Fast-forward four years and I was depressed, suicidal and lonely. I got dragged to a youth group by a friend and discovered, to my surprise, a surplus of cute girls that were unattatched and pure. I took it upon myself to remedy those conditions, but after a year off chasing girls I made another startling discovery: God. I was baptized into an evangelical church and have been there ever since.

Now, when you come onto the evangelical scene in your mid-teens, you get the feeling that everyone around you in the church are such fantastically perfect Christians that you don't know what to do. For me, I decided (at the encouragement of some of my new friends) to make up for lost time and be the most zealous, uptight and phony Christian you ever met or read about. I jumped in with both feet and fell flat on my ass. It is due to this experience and others like it that I tend to come across a bit jaded and bitter towards certain aspects of Christianity, and I may give the impression that my conversion was handled by absolute twits. This is not the case, however - in fact, the very fellow who helped lead me to Christ is a dear friend to this day and was a steady support when all else seemed like shifting sand.

I started becoming interested in emerging/Postmodern Christianity after I graduated from Bible college. The standard Christian answers weren't cutting it anymore, and I wanted the freedom to continue asking questions. In a dark time I was given A New Kind of Christian, and from that I got enough hope to enter into this conversation. After lurking/posting for about 8 months (as Dan-D from Canada) I am now starting my own blog with the intent of keeping tabs on my new friends, and also to share my thoughts with whoever cares. It will be slow going for the first few weeks due to my job (I am a full-time youth worker) and as I try to remember how to code in html. Hopefully I will put up a post with comments open every Monday, in which I will respond to every comment I get. I may post updates as the week goes on, but may keep those comments closed so as to not snuff out the convos on other posts (as so often happens). Please link to me if you feel your readers would enjoy this place.

The title of this blog comes from the quote beneath it; if you don't understand then please jump up and run extremely fast to the nearest library and don't come out until you've read Paradise Lost twice. My profile name (Grey Owl) comes from an inside joke with Jamie of Emergent Voyageurs, suffice it to say that sometimes I feel (in the emerging church) like I've "gone native", and hope that the true natives of the post-modern village that surround me treat me kindly and allow me to stay. Cheers,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear your story. I am curious why you think you need to learn html code, as you can link, add pictures, etc here without it. Just curious.

At any rate, when are we getting together again? You in town any time soon?

Peace,
Jamie

P.S. I have gladly added you to my blogrool

Wed Aug 24, 01:52:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

I'm hoping to have a design of my very own, one that isn't identical to every other blog. Plus I'm a control freak. BTW, when I was linking to your page I accidently spelled it "Emergent Voyeurs". Heh.

I would love to get together with everyone, and wednesday nights work best for me. Perhaps meeting earlier for supper would be better for those who have early mornings. Just a thought. The next 2 wednesdays are full, then I think I'm free. Any other 'peggers interested?

Wed Aug 24, 01:59:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

I do believe I've been spammed...

Wed Aug 24, 02:47:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog.. i will come and check you out from time to time...

Wed Aug 24, 02:50:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Cindy said...

Yick! comment spam!

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=1203&query=spam&topic=0&type=f

Wed Aug 24, 02:50:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Whew! Thanks Cindy, it was getting a little scary for a second there...

I hope my "life story" explains a bit more to your question from earlier in the week - but I am working on a post for next week about worship, due in part to our conversations. Hope you don't mind if I come and swipe a quote or two off of your page!

Wed Aug 24, 02:54:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Anne - I a little wary due to the large amounts of spam I've recieved in the last 10 minutes, but I'll assume you're a real person for now. ;)

I'm glad you like my site and I hope you come by and comment again someday. Thanks for taking the time to stop by.

Wed Aug 24, 02:59:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Lone Ranger said...

I read it. You mean you can get spammed even with that word verification thing?

Wed Aug 24, 03:04:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Lone Ranger - I'm afraid I simply don't know. I've only been doing this for about 3 days. I added word verification after I got all that spam, so we'll wait and see what happens, eh?

Wed Aug 24, 03:13:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Rob said...

Hey Grey Owl,

Welcome to your own corner of blogdom! You have now been assimilated by the Blog Collective!

I really enjoyed meeting you in Winnipeg at the King's Head, and to hear some of your journey and your passion for God. It was cool to have a face, a voice, and a story to associate with the Dan-D from Canada commentor!

We'll definitely have to hook up again next time I'm in Winnipeg.

Wed Aug 24, 04:35:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting, blog, interesting/bizarre responses too. if you are in Winnipeg, love to meet for coffee sometime.

Wed Aug 24, 09:51:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Cindy said...

hey- you can swipe a quote from my blog (that I probably swiped from somebody else's) anytime.

Wed Aug 24, 10:02:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Robby - someone told me resistance was futile, so I figured hey! what the heck. Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to many other conversations in the Virtual Church. Do you think you'll be heading out to winnipeg anytime soon? Let me know and we'll be sure to hook up.

oldbill - actually there are a few of us in Winnipeg who are hopefully going to be meeting semi-regularly, although beer is usually more prevalant at these events. If you stay tuned here I'll be sure to let you know the date/time so you can attend. There's always room for one more... thanks for stopping by.

Cindy - thanks, and thanks again for helping to stop the spam.

Thu Aug 25, 01:23:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Michael Lehet said...

Great Post!

Thu Aug 25, 02:00:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, Grey Owl - good to know you're there - and pleased to know you love Paradise Lost. Not many of us blokes around.

Thu Aug 25, 11:46:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Scott - you are forever my friend and brother, both because you like Milton and because you said, "blokes." Classy. Appreciate the comment - I'll have to check out your blog in the near future!

Fri Aug 26, 09:28:00 a.m. 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home