Monday, August 29, 2005

Life of Brian (or Random Thoughts on an Emergent Icon)

A few weeks ago over at the original Emergent-US blog, Brian Mclaren gave a three-part series that was supposed to be his response to his critics. Tony Jones gave him the space so he could clear up alot of the misunderstandings that have arisen because of his books, his beliefs, and the various critics thereof. The general hatred that appeared whenever he said or did anything had, apparently, been rather draining on the old boy. Now I don't mind telling you that I like Mclaren - I really do - and that I've enjoyed his books. But I was a little disappointed with his response, mainly because it turned into an autobiography (which I've read in his other books) and it didn't deal with the problems people had with him. Sure, he said that he had been misinterpreted and unfairly characterized, but he never actually got around to dealing with the specific arguments that people had with him. So I was a little frustrated after having finished it, even though I know that he had accomplished his purpose and given people a picture of himself.


I suppose what I really wanted was for him to tackle the issues. Some people have raised some very good questions about his beliefs and what he meant when he said such-and-such, and I had been curious as to what he would say. The dialogue section on his personal website is fairly sparse when it comes to actual explanations, although there is an awful lot of "I'm glad you read my books even though you disagree with me, and thank you for praying for my soul." And while I'm glad he's written the books he has and done so well at what he's trying to do, I can't help but feel that if some of the issues were dealt with and he actually, you know, told people where he stood on certain issues things would go a bit easier for emergent. It seems to me that many people associate his views with emergent's views, and as I continue to dialogue here on the Net I have been encountering an increasing number of people unfairly judge emergent based on something that Brian wrote. I am also curious for my own reasons. Not that it really matters where he stands - I am Christ's disciple, not his - I just would like to know.

So why the hesitation to take a stand? Why the reluctance to make statements that people can point to and say, "This is what Brian thinks"? I think perhaps it's because of the critics. It seems to me that before all this happened - before he became the incredibly popular guy he is now - he was alot more clear on what he thought. Perhaps the attacks of critics that came after his books became more popular spooked him, I don't know. I just know that now he seems a lot more gun-shy to stick his neck out. And who can blame him? If people thought I was the antichrist I'd probably lie low too.

What I find most perplexing about the hugely negative reaction to Brian is that he's not saying anything new. He admits he's not! He's not even saying it better than others can. Want a better discussion on the nature of truth? Read Os Guinness' (excellent last name, that)Time for Truth. Want a caring examination of certainty of faith? Read Daniel Taylor's The Myth of Certainty. Want to hear more about the possibility of salvation for the unevangelized? Read some C.S. Lewis, or if you're feeling ambitious pick up Dr. Terrance Theissan's Who Can Be Saved?. Feel like reading about disillusionment with the church and God? Read Philip Yancy's... well, basically anything by Philip Yancy. I had been hearing all these things for years from these authors, as well as from some friends I had been privileged to make in college who were both excellent professors and compassionate Christians.

Maybe the reason behind the popularity of Brian's books (despite the so-so writing and the recycled premises) is deeper than I originally thought. Maybe God is using those books to reach people and draw them into the conversation. Maybe He wanted people to find the "jumping-off point" in A New Kind of Christian and his other books and enter a world of service and worship that would have been beyond them before. And maybe now that they have reached this new understanding they will be able to effectivly engage the world around them and bring the hope of Christ into a hurting, broken, imperfect "post-modern" world.

True, A New Kind of Christian came at a very formative time for me, and if I hadn't read it... well, I may not be here right now. But having read it and come out of whatever funk I was in at the time, I'm ready to move on. I'm ready to pick up books by more learned people on these subjects. Brian's a good intro, and I'd encourage anyone who is unfamiliar with emergent or just starting to feel burned out to read him. But don't confuse him with emergent, and once you've read him, move on. No one wants him to be a guru - least of all him.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Grey Owl,

I actually, I think it was a poor set up for his posts, not the posts themselves, that was lacking. I don't think it was ever intended to answer the questions that you were hoping they would, but rather respond to the dismissive "McLaren is a recovering fundamentalist", "McLaren is just another disgruntled former youth pastor", etc, ad nauseum. I actually found that, while there was lot of repeat from his other books, there was a fair amount of moving, new material.

Additionally, I think McLaren's refusal to answer certain questions is central the very theology that he is exploring. He is, IMHO, NOT wanting to lay out views on issues he has not taken absolute positions on, or that would distract from other important issues (ie why discussion homosexuality when there is rampant poverty).

I think your closing line explains a lot as well. McLaren is trying to get people to look elsewhere for answers. Should he answer too much, he'd end up remaining the touchstone for Emergent, which is not his deisre at all.

Keep it up, bro!

Peace,
Jamie

Mon Aug 29, 11:12:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Len Hjalmarson said...

I think you are right that new people are being drawn into the conversation. Sure, Brian isn't as theological as Newbigin or as philosophical as Taylor, he is more a popular interpreter.. and that is both his strength and his weakness.

Personally, I appreciate his biographical expression. I think it is carefully chosen as an attempt to de-objectivy and to contextualize his opinions.. an important direction in light of the enlightenment rooting of modernity.

btw, congrats on the new blog!

Mon Aug 29, 12:25:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Len!

Mon Aug 29, 12:54:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fiction

McLaren's New Kind of Christian books are so powerful because they are in a genre that more people are likely to read, and that is perhaps actually more powerful for changing people than many other kinds of books. We care about the opinions of people we care about, and this includes characters we care about. The book that most made me re-examine my views about poverty was a fictional sci-fi book with characters who were grappeling with the issues.

Mon Aug 29, 02:15:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith,

I'd love to know the title & author of the sci-fi book you are referencing. I love the power of fiction.

Peace,
Jamie

Mon Aug 29, 02:48:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Jamie - Yeah, I kinda figured that. And I think that my position softened as my post went on - it was more of a collection of thoughts than an actual critique of his posts...

I agree that Mclaren deals with certain issues well. I practically cheered when he dodged the question about homosexuality on Larry King, because it's ture: there are alot more pressing matters right now than who's sleeping with who. I hope I can keep being as generous towards him as he is to his critics!

Hey Len, thanks for the comment. I think you are absolutely right that his posts were an attempt to "de-objectivy and to contextualize his opinions" - I just doubt that many of his critics are interested in getting to know the "real him." Make any sense?

Keith - I understand completely. I didn't "get" redemption until I read "A Tale of Two Cities" (I won't spoil the ending for yous guys). Fiction opens us up to the meaning of the story, mostly because we are forced to interact with characters and not just words... I'm with Jamie, though. Which book was that?Thanks for stopping in, folks. Keep it up.

Mon Aug 29, 03:54:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Scot McKnight said...

Dan-D,
Oddly enough, I think Brian did deal with the questions -- in a pomo fashion. By telling his story, a story that (if you read him aright) does deal with those questions. He affirms truth, he is evangelistic, etc..

One of the issues for Brian is that "this is the story we find ourselves in" and I think he was saying that many aren't in the same story.

Nice looking blog.

Mon Aug 29, 04:54:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Hey Scot,

Hmm. Never thought about it like that. I suppose I'm not that much of a "pomo" yet... I suppose it would be just like Brian to write an "essay" answer to a "multiple choice" question.

Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate your insights. Feel free to comment again sometime.

Mon Aug 29, 05:12:00 p.m. 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home