Friday, May 26, 2006

A Hiatus Explained

My Friends,

I have been silent for over a month now, and it's been surprisingly hard on me to do so. I've missed you - Cindy and Jamie, Maryellen and Wanderer, Bob and Scott and Robby and other Scott and everyone else whose names I'm forgetting but who persist in reading what I write and not sending me letter bombs. I've missed the conversations, and I've missed writing. But I think before I jump back in I ought - no, I OWE it - to give an explanation of where I've been.

There were three factors that contributed to my absence. The first was work. I was reaching the end of my training period - all 2 years of it - and finishing up assignments and paperwork that I had diligently procrastinated on. This involved putting in long hours and late hours, even bringing work along to the lake for the long weekend. It was difficult, but on wednesday night I officially completed the process. Hallelujah!

The second factor was personal - I was simply frustrated with the internet medium. I got involved (under a different name) on some other websites on which dialogue was happeneing concerning other issues. Politics, mostly, but also sites about movies, pop culture, and other mundane matters. What I discovered was that in these other forums there were the same issues of rhetoric, miscommunication and character assasination that happened in the religeous forums. The internet medium encourages people to act their worst, and I got to the point where I needed a break or I would become what I despised.

The third reason was spiritual, and I intend to expand upon that on monday. Look for my post in the AM on monday, and I'll try not to disappoint.

Hopefully peopel still stop by here. Pass the word if you do - Grey Owl is back.

-cue dramatic music

7 Comments:

Blogger R.S. Ladwig said...

How do I send you a "letter bomb"?

Sat May 27, 02:10:00 a.m. 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I have discovered that, should the same people in a forum get in the same room (which, granted, doesn't often happen) they still treat people as poorly, more often than not. And even when this isn't the case, I have come to appreciate (fearfully) the honesty such discussions expose.

Peace,
Jamie

Sat May 27, 10:21:00 a.m. 2006  
Blogger Rob said...

Ditto what Jamie said. Mean people online tend to be mean people in person.

But I also agree that online (mis)communication brings out the worst in all of us. Personally, I'm just tired of being attacked for things I didn't say, or having positions/labels pinned on me that I don't hold.

But, Grey Owl, I have missed you during your absence, and commend you for the self-control to let the blog go for a season while you attend other matters.

And I'm looking forward to your Monday post. Welcome back!

Sun May 28, 12:39:00 a.m. 2006  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

now, i don't mean to be contradictory (?) but i knew of at least one person who was very "nice" in person, and quite nasty in the blog world.
I've missed you too Grey Owl, and look forward to your next post.

Sun May 28, 10:14:00 a.m. 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maryellen,

No need to apologize. There will inevitably be exceptions. I can be nicer online at times myself!

Peace,
Jamie

Sun May 28, 05:04:00 p.m. 2006  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Bob - uh, is this a question with practical intention?

Jamie - thanks for the support and prayers. It's good to have you in my corner.

Robby - I don't know if I'd call a month a season, but it is good to be back.

Maryellen - I think I know who you speak of. You two still friends? (it's good to see you commenting, by the way)

Mon May 29, 01:04:00 p.m. 2006  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Ditto for Bob's comment. If I had only known that all of this time a letter bomb could replace my hours of reading. ;)

Seriously, welcome back, Grey Owl. I was elated to find that the title of the latest post had changed. (Not that I have read it yet and MC is paging me....)

Wed Jun 07, 12:08:00 a.m. 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home