Friday, September 09, 2005

What a Dude we Have in Jesus

Here it is, the long-prophesied "serious" post of the week. Let's start a few weeks ago: I was on vacation and decided to rent that Mandy Moore movie "Saved." For those of you who don't know, the movie is about a young girl at an evangelical high school in the US somewhere. This teen gets pregnant during her summer break and spends the school year trying to hide her condition from her militant classmates while clinging to a faith that suddenly makes less sense to her, with predictably hilarious results.

Her school is a "stereotypical" white, American evangelical school. While there are certain aspects that are grossly exaggerated (like when classmates attempt to perform an exorcism on a "depressed" fellow student) one scene sticks out in my mind for its brutal honesty (or at least because it reminds me of some folks I knew as a teen). At the opening chapel for the year the campus pastor/principal of the school comes back-flipping onto stage (to loud funky music), comes up to the microphone and says (I kid you not...)

"Yeah! God is in the house! Let's get our Christ on, let's kick it Jesus style!" To which the congregation goes appropriately wild.

Well. What do you say to that? I sat there feeling quite uncomfortable, because I recognized truth in this (exaggerated) portrayal of our Christian leadership. We are desperately trying to be cool. Our strategy is to attract people in with our hipness, our coolness, our attractiveness - you'll never see an unattractive worship leader on Christian TV. Our leaders, by and large, spend vast amounts of time and energy trying to make us into a "religious" version of the best parts of our society. Here's a quote from "Blue Like Jazz" author Don Miller:

There are many problems with trying to market the gospel of Jesus, not the least of which is that, in itself, it is not a cool or fashionable idea. It isn't supposed to be. It is supposed to be revolutionary. It's for people who are tired of trying to be cool, tired of trying to get the world to redeem them. I attended the Dove Awards recently and was brokenhearted. I saw all these beautiful Christians, wonderful people, with this wonderful, revolutionary message of Jesus, who, instead of saying, "Look, fashion doesn't matter, hip doesn't matter," were saying "World, please accept us, we can be just as hip as you, just as fashionable, only in a religious way."

This is a legitimate concern many people have for the emerging church. Is it something revolutionary, ready to reach out to a broken world and affect change? Or is it just another attempt to live off the "fad of the land?"

I think I'm ready to conclude "both." It seems to me that in the emerging church there are true Christians, ready to try anything to get the timeless, hope-filled message of Christ into a hurting world. I've met several of these people, and I know them to be genuine believers.

I also think that there are many - too many - people jumping onto the emerging bandwagon because it's the next big thing, "where God is really moving" or some other garbage. Because the fact is, God doesn't need the emerging church. If God "needs" anything, it's good and faithful servants. These can be found in the emerging church, in the modern church, in the catholic church, anywhere that there is faith.

This isn't meant to discourage people from "signing up" with the emerging church or whatever. I want people to think - to really think - about where God wants them, and about what God wants them to do, instead of just picking the popular choice. And to pray about it, and to listen for God's leading. If he wants you to be an "emerging Christian," then be the best one possible. If he wants you to stay in your seeker-sensitive mega-church, then do so, and serve him with all your heart there. Instead of trying to be cool, hip, "with it" or what the world would find good in its eyes, let's be relevant, loving, and follow the Micah 6:8 example: "He has shown you, O man, what is good - and what does the LORD require of you? But to Do Justice, and to Love Mercy, and to Walk Humbly with your God."

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get to comment first. HA!

Good post, Dandy. I'd only point out that Brian Doerksen isn't much of a pretty boy, but you I've seen him on Christian TV (although, that was quite a while ago, when I had TV).

Sat Sep 10, 08:47:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Cindy said...

I see Dandy is catching on.

Sat Sep 10, 08:55:00 a.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grey Owl,

I use "Saved" in my teaching on missional community. It is amazing to see the various reactions the movie receives. I cautiously recommend it to all.

A good friend of mine, Frank Naea, likes to talk about how people are always talking about "the next move of God"- "It's coming from the south! From the Latin Americans!" or "It's the next generation that will rise up!" or yet again, "Women are the silent majority who will be silenced no longer!". Which is true? Which one will be THE next move of God?

Frank wisely says this: "Any, all or none of them". It will come from whoever responds to God's call to be an authentic community of faith, manifesting the love of Christ to each and to the world. Emergent isn't the next new trend (though some are treating it as such, as you pointed out), it was born out of sincere believers wanting something more authentic,

I'd also point out that this movie is chalk full of other insightful critiques of Evangelical Christianity, but alas, that's for another post, eh?

Peace,
Jamie

Sat Sep 10, 09:53:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Hey sean, welcome here. Never heard of Brian Doerksen - but then again, you and I (being male) may not be the best folks to judge his beauty or lack thereof, eh?

Jamie - yeah, cautionsly recommend is a good way to put it. Not for the faint of heart. It raised all sorts of unsavoury memories and feelings for me. Who knows? Maybe in a decade or so a movie will come out that pokes fun at emergent. We could call it "Emerged"...

Cindy - let's hope it doesn't. That was my nickname in high school - if I wanted it to keep going I would have named this blog "Fine and Dan-D"...

Sat Sep 10, 10:15:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Cindy said...

enough said!

Sat Sep 10, 10:56:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Rob said...

Frank Naea also had a very wise comment for emerging types:

"Would you hurry up and emerge, please, before the next generation has to do it for you?"

Sat Sep 10, 03:38:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the more thought provoking lines from the movie was in regards to the "home" for recovering homosexuals. One of the characters said something to the effect of:

"Place like that aren't there for the people who are sent to them. They are there for the people who send them."

I think this is something we truly need to examine within our churches. How often is our response to sin, differences or even to suffering born out of desire to make us feel better or less uncomfortable, not primarily out of genuine compassion?

Worth some thought.

Peace,
Jamie

Sat Sep 10, 07:33:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Robby - honestly, I think Frank has a great point. But I'm not sure they won't have to. The rate at which our culture is changing is accelerating, and the world 15 years ago is completely different from the world today. In 15-20 years, we could very well need another shift in the church. The question is: can the emerging church be a church that can make the changes with the culture, or will it too be left by the wayside?

Jamie - I think that's absolutely correct. I know several "Focus on the Family" types that won't criticize you for cheating on your taxes or being judgemental, but you'd better be careful where and with whom you try to have sex! There is a definate dichotemy in our treatment of "sinners" these days, and I'm wondering why more people don't treat them the way Jesus did; with love and respect?

I had a friend who came out of the closet after Bible college. Inthe years that followed he was inundated with hate mail from his former frinds. Very few people would talk to him again when he would visit his friends. How is this at all showing Christ's love?

Sun Sep 11, 10:25:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

sometimes it grieves me and i'm sure it grieves the Holy Spirit when through a movie like "saved" we see what the world sees when they look at us. And please, Grey Owl, don't stay away from my site for too long. I like your thoughts and opinions.

Tue Sep 13, 11:48:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Maryellen - I think that I felt some of that Holy Spirit grief during this movie too.

And it's not your blog that I want to avoid. It's some of the more aggravating contributors to your comments. Especially when they swoop in, deposit their "wisdom" and fly off into the distance, like a seagull crapping on my Chevy. If you're not willing to stick around and defend a statement than it probably isn't worth saying. But I enjoy what you have to say, so I will be back - I just may not roll in the mud with some of the others as much.

Tue Sep 13, 12:05:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger SoulPastor said...

Dan...
SAVED is a great movie...like Jamie, I use it when I teach out east. You may think that it has scenes that are "grossly exaggerated" but I would disagree. You see, from my upbringing in Fundy circles...it rings true!

I believe Micheal Stipe did a great job on this movie and many evangelicals NEED to watch it and see themselves in the mirror.
(But, unfortunately this movie is too blasphemous for any true fundamentalist to watch from start to finish)

The sad thing is when you watch the movie I believe you are observing "the North Amserican Churched Culture" through the eyes of an outsider.

I could go on, but I would rather you take the class and I get paid!

Keep going

Tue Sep 13, 01:52:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Soul Pastor - arg, not more school...

Tue Sep 13, 02:08:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't think anyone should watch Saved. Why do we need to overgeneralize people. I know people who lean toward me who are more extreme than me have problems but that doesn't mean we need to overreact. For me the overreaction is just as bad or worse than the things we react from. That goes for me as well. To me the movie is "right hand saying to the left hand I have no need of you".

Grey owl you "Focus on the Family type" comment also is apart of this overgenralization that i'm talking about. They don't focus on one and not the other. There Crown ministries promotes good money management and being good stewards. Come on. Please help bring people together rather than overreact. I know on your other posts you want this but this is the kind of thing that make "modern Christians" react the way they do.

Tue Sep 13, 04:48:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Mr. Anon E. Moose,

I don't think I'm entirely sure what you're getting at, but I'm glad you found my post thought provoking. To clarify: I did not say that all "Focus on the Family" types "won't criticize you for cheating on your taxes or being judgemental, but you'd better be careful where and with whom you try to have sex", only that I knew several who did. Just to be fair, I also know several people who are just as convinced about Focus on the Family's importance who do not fall into that category. I hope that makes this a little clearer for you.

Wed Sep 14, 01:06:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"....you'd better be careful where and with whom you try to have sex."

I have no problem with Focus on the Family's stance on this issue. I will fault them with the attitude and some measure of harshness with what they say. Content? No problem for that is what the Bible says. Is that sin greater than other sins? Absolutely not. However, I never want sin to be promoted and in the basic level all Focus of the Family wants is to not to promote sin. Even Jesus said, "...go and sin no more."

Wed Sep 14, 01:36:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

I'll agree with that - but not promoting sin is one thing and expecting the non-christian content of north america to obey the Bible's standards is another.

Wed Sep 14, 02:48:00 p.m. 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home