Tuesday, September 13, 2005

On Canada - US Relations


We have the longest undefended border in the history of the world.

We have a system of free trade that has been envied worldwide.

We freely come and go between our countries, visiting relatives and historical sites.

We even train parts of our military together.

So why can't we stand each other?

Canada-US relations are at an all-time low. The free trade agreement shows signs of dissolving. Protests on Canadian soil against American foreign policy are, if not common, at least unsurprising. Canada's refusal to support both the war in Iraq and the missile defense program has America wondering, "Where did our biggest supporter go?" Canadians harass and ridicule the American's leader. Americans don't know who Canada's leader is. And news programs on both sides of the border speculate that the friendship that has bound us together may be coming to an end.

In the midst of all of this, Christendom in North America is shifting. The more liberal attitudes in the north are becoming apparent, while in the south there are reactions against what many see as "backsliding." The Emerging Church is becoming more and more popular, yet receiving more and more criticism from conservative theologians - most of them seem to be American (or at least the loudest of them are). And here on the Net there are ripples of those changes. Emergent and anti-emergent sites have sprung up, and in my experience the supporters of Emergent have been disproportionately Canadian. That combined with our country's choice to support gay marriage has made some compare Canada to Sweden - we are an "irreligious" country in many eyes. This increases the tensions between us, as the conservative Christian elements in the United States have a very visible presence in the driver's seat.

It seems to me that the problem between us is the same problem you would find in any marriage - a failure to communicate our differences. Here's an example: My wife and I are very different people. I'm a cautious, rational fellow (my comments on Jamie's site not withstanding). She is a quick-thinking, fast-acting woman. Neither of those is better than the other (just to make that very clear in case she wanders by here...). But it caused us no end of grief until we actually sat down and said, "Obviously you don't see the world the way I do. Tell me the way you see things, so I can understand why you act the way you do."

The same thing is necessary for Canada and America. We think differently from each other. We see the world differently. And so we act accordingly - and this confuses the other party. Canadians tend to be more post-modern, with more emphasis on humanitarian interests and less care for power. Americans tend to be more modern, with an emphasis on justice and freedom in the world and less interest in change. I don't think either country has the "right" worldview - there are many things we can learn from each other. But we need to begin by understanding the perspective that the other is coming from. And that, my friends, can begin here.

Well, not HERE. But on the Net. A truly borderless community. We have an opportunity here (which many are taking advantage of) to try and air these differences, undertstand one another, so that in the midst of our diversity we can have unity. And the Emerging Church, with its emphasis on networking different communities of faith, will likely be a big help with that. No matter what our leaders wind up doing, it is my desire that Christians from both our nations can come together in faith and friendship to try and mend the hurts that have been done.

We won't ever be the same. And we will disagree on many, many things. But as long as we're here for each other to offer help like this, we will always be family.

18 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Good words, Dan. I think we've made a good start towards that communication. And, on behalf of the Deep South, I'd like to say thank you to the kind and generous people of Canada for your relief efforts and prayers during this, our time of most desperate need.

Tue Sep 13, 07:53:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a dual citizen of Canada & the US, I feel strongly about this issue. I think that ours is an uneasy... cousinship (as I feel a marraige isn't the best analogy). I think that our dialogue with one another goes beyond getting alone or reconciliation, but rather one of necessity.

When I posted on this topic at my blog, you commented about our nations "emerging" together. Here is a question that I am still wrestling with: Is it more important for us to develop a firm direction and identity apart from one another in order to better bring our strengths to the table?

What do you think?

Peace,
Jamie

Tue Sep 13, 10:30:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post dan

i love canada and always enjoy my time there. i hope to be there again early next year.

i can see the need for good relationships with US, but also the need for Canada to find its own emerging church movements rising up inside its English speaking and French speaking worlds, that will enable Canada to share its redemptive gift with the world as Canadians.

Wed Sep 14, 12:48:00 a.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan - do you know the book "Fiire and Ice; The United States, Canada and the Myth of Converging Values" by Michael Adams? A must read on this topic.

There are fundamental differences in our core identities as Canadians & Americans that grow out of our radically different histories and role in the world. Advanced evangelicalism is probably culturally congruent with America in a way that it has never been in Canada. I agree with your thoughts on modernism/post-modernism - maybe it's because America is an empire in decline and so wants to hold on to the era in which it ruled. Britain went through this. It is far less threatening for Canadians to embrace a post-modern world because we have less to lose. In the end, tho, it's vital that we continue to explore faith expressions that fit with our experience, culture and identity. We don't need to be afraid if the paths seem to diverge - kind of like the Transcanada - sometimes the highway divides and you can't even see the folk on the other side. . .but it's still the same road.

Wed Sep 14, 09:59:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Cindy - Thanks, I know this kind of post is different from my usual "rant", but it was somthing that needed to be said. I wanted to talk about those relations without coming across like I was bashing one or the other. Hopefully I succeeded!

Jamie - I know that the "marriage" analogy is poor, but I think that in a "cousinship" there isn't that need for understanding - or at least that need isn't as keenly felt. How often do we see our cousins? A few times a year? I think that the Canada-US relationship is far more important, although I understand the reservations about being "married" to the States. Canada often feels like "A mouse next to an elephant." - Pierre Trudeau.

Wed Sep 14, 11:34:00 a.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grey Owl,

Funny enough, my first cousins are like siblings, so I see many of them weekly. That, of course, is part of my French/Italian Canadian heritages (this Arpin-Ricci). So, from outside my experience, I would say perhap syou right.

I think that Andrew nailed it in his comment, which is what I was getting at in my closing question.

Thanks for the Trudeau quote. I am fond of him, though it is likely as he is a cousin (no, really!).

Peace,
Jamie

Wed Sep 14, 12:33:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Andrew - thanks for stopping nby. If you're ever in winnipeg when you come to our fair country, please let us know - we'll introduce you to the King's Head! While I think that Canada and the US need to emerge seperately, I also can the the tremendous benefit in supporting and prayer for each other as we enter into new ground.

Oldbill - you're the second person to recommend that book to me this week. I shall have to pick it up. And I agree - in spite of our different paths we certainly have alot in common. Our roles in the world will necessarily be different because the needs of the world are so varied. Hopefully we can remain supportive of each other as we embark on our respective journeys.

Wed Sep 14, 01:00:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Cindy said...

Jamie- with so many cousins- and so close, you could pass as a good southerner! (Any of them married--to each other?):-D

Wed Sep 14, 02:56:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

American Advanced Evangelism as one of your commentors called it, has been a terrible failure in my opinion. We have mega churches, but no so many people actually living for Jesus, and our missionaries, although full of zeal have not been so successful, especially on our own soil where only 7% of the native american population is "born again" many still believing in the traditional - pagan religions of their past. The concept of Manifest Destiny caused an awful lot of damange to the gospel of Christ. I share this as a citizen of the United States currently living and teaching on the Navajo Reservation.

Wed Sep 14, 04:28:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Cindy, have you heard of "the Mennonite Game?"

Maryellen - I hear you loud and clear. And I think you have a unique perspective considering where you are and what you do. Our different reactions to First Nations peoples these days is very telling, don't you agree? I don't think either of us are getting it quite right, and we've got a long way to go... I truly hope that, if Canada can teach the US anything it's that Manifest Destiny was the product of a bygone age, fit for the trash heap along with slavery and the rest. To be honest with you the fact that it's still in your constitution makes me nervous...

Wed Sep 14, 05:01:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy,

Thankfully, the French/Italian Canadian family bonds are not into the cousin marrying trend. I can proudly say that I have no Uncle Daddy's and so forth.

MaryEllen,

While I share your concern with many aspects of Native traditions, there is an exciting movement of contextualization (aka "redeeming culture") within First Nations peoples who can learn to embrace the beauty of their cultures and traditions through the redeeming power of Christ. While avoiding dangerous syncretism, I think we have a lot to learn from the First Nations people.

Peace,
Jamie

Wed Sep 14, 05:39:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Cindy said...

no- I've never heard of the Mennonite game.

Thu Sep 15, 07:11:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Jamie - do you know that song, "I am my own Grandpa?"

Cindy - there are alot of mennonites in southern manitoba. So many, in fact that There have been plenty of "Pletts marryying Pletts" and so on, but they aren't necessarily related. When two mennonites want to date each other, they have to go through their family histories to make sure that they aren't cousins - which often turns out to be the case! This is called "The Mennonite Game".

Thu Sep 15, 09:51:00 a.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dandy,

Interestingly, where I come from in NW Ontario (where there is a large Mennonite colony) the Mennonite game extends to mean meeting random stranger and discovering at least a few friends or relations in common.

Yes, I have heard "I'm my own Grandpa", but why deprive the rest of you? See below.

Peace,
Jamie

Many many years ago when I was twenty three,
I got married to a widow who was pretty as could be.
This widow had a grown-up daughter
Who had hair of red.
My father fell in love with her,
And soon the two were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law
And changed my very life.
My daughter was my mother,
For she was my father's wife.

To complicate the matters worse,
Although it brought me joy,
I soon became the father
Of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby then became
A brother-in-law to dad.
And so became my uncle,
Though it made me mad.

For if he was my uncle,
Then that also made him brother
To the widow's grown-up daughter
Who, of course, was my step-mother.

Father's wife then had a son,
Who kept them on the run.
And he became my grandson,
For he was my daughter's son.

My wife is now my mother's mother
And it makes me blue.
Because, although she is my wife,
She's my grandmother too.

If my wife is my grandmother,
Then I am her grandchild.
And every time I think of it,
It simply drives me wild.

For now I have become
The strangest case you ever saw.
As the husband of my grandmother,
I am my own grandpa!

Thu Sep 15, 10:57:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

Jamie, absolutely!
I've been addressing that on my blog!
I'm reading the creation/origin of four southwestern tribes with my 7th grade students in Social Studies. There are so many "starting places" to the gospel in them. Unfortunatly some of the Navajo out here, who were told for so long that to become Christian you had to stop being Navajo, are really resisting any attemp to contextualize worship.

Thu Sep 15, 11:31:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

by the way, thanks for the words to 'I'm my own grandpa' that's one of my 6 year old grand-daughters favorite songs but she only knows the chorus, and Stanley Stupid sings it too fast for my old ears to catch it all.

Thu Sep 15, 11:33:00 a.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MaryEllen,

I'd like to recommend the books by Anita Keith, a Winnipeg Mohawk believer who has written 3 books (2 on First Nations educational styles, 1 about the white church partnering with First Nations believers). I wrote the introduction for the latter.

Peace,
Jamie

Thu Sep 15, 02:38:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Maryellen - I've enjoyed that topic on your blog, even though it has gotten a bit derailed. I think that of all the world religions I've looked at, some of the native ones looked like they would be the most receptive to the gospel, yet we certainly seem to have screwed up our chance. There is a lot of apologizing that needs to get done before we can make headway...

Jamie - thanks for the lyrics! That's such a great song...

Thu Sep 15, 04:27:00 p.m. 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home