Wednesday, November 09, 2005

On Criticisms of Emergent


Good gravy, it's been a while. The last month has been one of the most out-of-control months of my life. But I suppose it's been reminding me that I never had control in the first place. Which is a very, very good thing.

So. I'm back, and I've got all these thoughts bouncing around in my head like 6-year-olds at Topo Gigio's. Sorting them out will take some time, but I have a general idea of what I want to say. Let's leave the environmental hot-topic for now, and move on to something else near and dear to my heart; Emerging Christianity.

Emerging Christianity, for those of you who don't know, is a movement within evangelicalism (mostly) that appeared on the scene a few years ago and set some kind of land-speed record for being condemned by the conservative evangelicals. Emergent was unique, however, in actually asking for criticism from Christians in general. The condemnation was in many cases fast an wildly inaccurate, although highly entertaining. After a short time, however, some serious critics emerged (heh) and the dialogue was on.

My experiences with both sides of the debate began when, after reading A New Kind of Christian, I did a Google search on the Emerging Church. I wound up at the old Emergent-US blog, started reading the entries, then began commenting (as Dan-D from Canada). At the time I had a rather naive idea about the Emerging Church and the general public attitude towards it ("Wow, everyone is going to love this! Christianity that puts an emphasis on love! Hooray!"). I was shocked to discover that, apparently, not everyone was as enamored of the movement as I thought they ought to be.

This did 2 things for me. It made me slow down and more closely examine the whole Emergent phenomenon. This was great, because I did start to notice some of the more extreme aspects that have been associated with it (universalism, for example - while not something that McLaren, Miller or any other have even remotely supported there are some who would want to have Emergent hold this view). I became a great deal more cautious with my support, examining the claims of the authors instead of saying, "He's an Emerging Christian, I must agree with what he says!" I began to appreciate more fully what Emergent was actually about rather than the common perceptions/misconceptions. I knew that whatever Emergent was trying to do, it would have to follow the Bible and rely on God to accomplish it.

The second thing it did for me was open me up to dialogue with many, many learned people. I was forced to examine scripture, theological traditions, and philosophy like I hadn't since college. On both sides of the debate I made friends, friends who would challenge me and uplift me. And I found an intellectual community of believers that I felt a part of. Even after I had made the decision to throw my lot in with Emerging Christianity (a decision made largely due to the actions of several critics of Emergent) I kept in contact with several people who were critics. I've been very blessed by those relationships.

However. One thing I've been disheartened by is the actions/words of some critics. I am the first person to admit that there ought to be people watching and making sure that Emergent does not alter the gospel or the person of Christ to be "cool" or "attractive" to people in our age. And this must be done by observing the scriptures and traditions of the church. But some critics have been unnecessarily harsh, sarcastic, and cruel. Even the graciously worded and delivered "Response to Criticisms" that Emergent-US put out was treated with disrespect (or, in the case of Emergent-No, borderline paranoia). And it's not just the critics - both sides have acted disgracefully. What ever happened to "They will know you by your love for one another?" The excuse I've heard from some critics has been that Emerging Christians are heretics, not true Christians, so there's no reason to respect/love them. That makes me very sad.

This is my question: how can we as "Emerging Christians" graciously respond to the sarcastic and hateful criticisms that often come? Where are the thoughtful and constructive criticisms that we've seen in the past? And is there any common ground that we can reach?

I sincerely hope that some genuine, loving critics see this post. We need that dialogue.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Good to hear from you Dan!! (I think I caught your crud through the internet, though.)

One of my most reliable "decision testers" in life is to ask which choice in a situation gives me peace? Often, it's not the most logical choice that brings peace. That's how God works.

Something I've noticed is that many of the most outspoken critics of the emerging church seem to be in a lot of turmoil over it. Whereas, when I read the rebuttals or answers from emerging leaders, there is usually a palpable peace in their words. Just an observation.

Wed Nov 09, 04:32:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Wanderer said...

"He's an Emerging Christian, I must agree with what he says!"

?

What in the world would ever lead someone to believe a stranger was right simply because they stated that they belonged to a group we would like to associate with? I am sorry, I know there were much deeper issues being addressed her, but I don't find it likely that I have anything worthwhile to contribute to the topic as a whole, but this comment blew me away.

Wed Nov 09, 05:54:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger ScottB said...

"The second thing it did for me was open me up to dialogue with many, many learned people...And I found an intellectual community of believers that I felt a part of."

This is, I think, why it's appropriate to still refer to this whole thing as a conversation on some level. I've been loosely involved with the Emergent cohort in Philadelphia, and I've found it to be a wonderfully stimulating group of folks. There's something about that shared journey component that I just haven't found in other groups I've been a part of.

Wed Nov 09, 07:53:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Wanderer on this one, though I suspect you (Grey Owl) are also on board. People blindly following "Emergent" voices without critically exploring what they are presenting move against what the emergent phenomenon represents. Additionally, this tact is used by many critics, who "quote" so called "Emergent voices" as though they represent the whole (which is doubly ironic, as there is no cohesive WHOLE to represent).

Anyway, good post.

Peace,
Jamie

Wed Nov 09, 09:30:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Thanks, Cindy! I hope your cold doesn't go in the direction mine did. That was a very unpleasent experience... and re: the peace seen in "Emergent Leadership," I've noticed the same thing. Wonder what the first protestants were like when faced with catholic crticisms?

Wanderer - I guess I wasn't very clear; I was trying to get across that I found that line of thinking to be poor in quality. I have heard people say that, although insert your movement/belief system of choice in place of "Emergin Christian" instead. Thanks for commenting, though.

Scottb - I love my pub theology nights (when I can make them) with the winnipeg gang. The conversational aspect of Emergent is one of the major things I find most attractive. Like some have said of Emergent: you come for the hairstyles, but stay for the atmosphere.

Jamie - "People blindly following "Emergent" voices without critically exploring what they are presenting move against what the emergent phenomenon represents." Bingo. Exactly what I was trying to say - but you said it better, which is no surprise. Thanks for not forgetting about me in my absence!

Wed Nov 09, 11:07:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Linda said...

Grey Owl,
I laughed at your comment, "Wow, everyone is going to love this!"

I remember thinking that. If only it were that simple.

I think the emergent phenomenon is often instigated by and represents an intentional move away from arrogant dogmatism.

As to your questions, I usually read those types of articles and shake my head, feeling that response to close-mindedness is futile. I don't believe there can be common ground without mutual respect and consideration.

In the end, we can only live what we are and be responsible for our own words and deeds.

Fri Nov 11, 06:13:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Arthur Brokop II said...

I am on my way out the door. But I'll be back to read the rest of this. I too have done some research on and drawn some conclusions about the emergent church, which has put me in odds with one of my anti emergent pastors. By the way, I'm so glad to see that my good friend the wanderer has paid you a visit or two. Good point Wanderer!

Sat Nov 12, 11:21:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Grace - Well said. I agree; all we can do is live honestly and be responsible for our actions/words. Too bad not everyone thinks this way, we could save ourselves alot of grief.

Maryellen - you have an anti-emergent pastor? Who could that be? ;) And yeah, wanderer has been here for a bit - you should check out the dialogue between him and Jamie a few posts ago. Good times.

Sat Nov 12, 01:50:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Curt said...

Hey all,

I read through the dialogue that most of you participated in back at the "Environmentalism Part 2: My Journey with Ishmael" post. I'm a big fan of Ishmael,(been following the movement for about six years now) so it was very interesting to me. I left a few comments, if any of you are interested.

Thank you,

Curt

p.s. Also,if any of you have time, I'd be interested in hearing what some of you think about this essay by Daniel Quinn. It's titled: "Our Religions: Are they the Religions of Humanity Itself?" http://www.ishmael.com/Education/Writings/southwestern.shtml

Wed Nov 16, 01:57:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

That's an interesting thought, art. The idea of a university as a place to examine ideas seems alot different than the current model - to teach the opinions of certain individuals. Not that all education is like this, but I've noticed a trend in this direction...

Tue Nov 22, 01:51:00 p.m. 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home