Thursday, November 17, 2005

Well, I Didn't See This Coming


I'm speechless.

You've probably heard of Anne Rice, author of the wildly popular Interview with the Vampire novel and it's sequels. Christian groups have renounced these books as heretical, evil, and the usual labels we tend to stick on literature that displeases us.

I've been a fan of these novels for some time. I read Interview long before I became a Christian. I read the following books much later, after I was a Christian and married. My wife didn't like it when I read those books, I don't think. I tended to get way too involved in the characters (although contrary to popular rumor I never did try to drink someone else's blood).

So imagine my surprise when I discovered that, apparently, Anne Rice is re-embracing her Catholic Christian roots.

This is very interesting for me. Some of my greatest faith questions came after reading Rice's novels. The character of Lestat, for example, I identified with quite strongly. His existential questioning culminates in the second volume of Rice's vampire novels in what Lestat describes as, "The Dark Moment." Here are some excerpts from that portion of the book:

"I realized aloud in the midst of saying it that even when
we die we probably don't find out the answer as to why were we ever alive. Even
the avowed atheist probably thinks than in death he'll get some answer. I mean
God will be there, or there won't be anything at all. 'But
that's just it,' I said, 'we don't make any discovery at that moment! We merely
stop! We pass into nonexistence without ever knowing a thing.' I saw the
universe, a vision of the sun, the planets, the stars, black night going on
forever. And I began to laugh. 'Do you realize that! We'll
never know why the hell any of it happened, not even when it's over!' I shouted
at Nicolas, who was sitting back on the bed, nodding and drinking his wine out
of a flagon. 'We're going to die and not even know. We'll never know, and all
this meaninglessness will just go on and on and on. And we won't any longer be
witnesses to it. We won't have even that little bit of power to give meaning to
it in our minds. We'll just be gone, dead, dead, dead, without ever
knowing!' But I had stopped laughing. I stood still and I
understood perfectly what I was saying! There was no judgment
day, no final explanation, no luminous moment in which all terrible wrongs would
be made right, all horrors redeemed. The witches burnt at the
stake would never be avenged. No one was ever going to tell us
anything! No, I didn't understand it at this moment. I saw it!
And I began to make the single sound: 'Oh!' I said it again 'Oh!' and then I
said it louder and louder and louder, and I dropped the wine bottle on the
floor. I put my hands to my head and I kept saying it, and I could see my mouth
opened in that perfect circle that I had described to my mother and I kept
saying, 'Oh, oh, oh!' I said it like a great hiccuping that I
couldn't stop... I ran to the window, unlatched it and swung out the heavy
little glass, and stared at the stars. I couldn't stand seeing them. I couldn't
stand seeing the pure emptiness, the silence, the absolute absence of any
answer, and I started roaring as Nicolas pulled me back from the window-sill and
pulled shut the glass.... I stared at everything, seeing behind every
configuration of colour and light and shadow the same thing; death. Only it
wasn't just death as I'd thought of it before, it was death the way I saw it
now. Real death, total death, inevitable, irreversible, and resolving
nothing.... And I knew it wasn't going to pass, and nothing for the moment could
make me forget, but what I felt was inexpressible gratitude for the music, that
in this horror there could be something as beautiful as
that. You couldn't understand anything; and you couldn't change
anything.... nothing natural seemed beautiful to me now! The very sight of a
great tree standing alone in a field could make me tremble and cry out. Fill the
orchard with music. And let me tell you a little secret. It
never did pass, really."

pages 65-70 The Vampire Lestat

Second Volume of The Vampire Chronicles

By Anne Rice

I don't mind telling you that moments like this in Rice's novels filled me with the same kind of terror that her characters felt. Even if it was only for a moment, even if it was only while I was reading the book I felt the same kind of despair as a set of imaginary characters. Sometimes these feelings would last until I could sit down with a good friend and talk them out.

You see, I've struggled with depression my whole life. The concept of being lost in despair is very real to me. Even after I became a Christian there were moments when my faith seems so small and the darkness seemed so big. I remember describing those moments to a friend as, "Walking in a snow-covered field, listening to the wind howling in the great emptiness of the overcast sky above." You prairies-folk know what I mean. It is a wholly terrifying feeling. But it never lasts, and when I come out of it the sun feels warm on my face and I put Rice's novel or whatever it was that triggered these feelings on the shelf. I remember that God is real and he loves me, and then I usually go out for chicken wings or watch a funny movie.

The thing is, feelings of despair are incompatible with the love of God. I'm not saying you'll never feel sad or lonely if you are a Christian; rather, that the message of Christ is one of hope and love. The despair for me only came when I doubted that, when I doubted God existed or loved me. When I was truly looking at the basis for my faith I had to admit that God was a God of love, and he would not abandon his children.

One particular quote comes to mind: "And when the hourglass has run out, the hourglass of temporality,when the noise of secular life has grown silent and its restless or ineffectual activism has come to an end, when everything around you is still, as it is in eternity, then eternity asks you and every individual in these millions and millions about only one thing: whether you have lived in despair or not.-- Soren Kierkegaard,"The Sickness Unto Death"

I find it fascinating that Rice can write what she does and still come to faith in God. I pray that this change would be genuine and life-lasting for her. I'm looking forward to her new book, and I'll review it here when I get my hands on it.

Any other Rice fans out there? Let me know what you think of her books. Is there anything a Christian can learn from them?

21 Comments:

Blogger Wanderer said...

Quite frankly I am shocked that such a shift could be made. Not that she could return to Christian roots but that she had ever left them. In truth I always read into her books a healthy imagination attached to a mind that was questioning and playing out the church's thinking. In that regard I don't see how continuing to write these books would be impossible. However, her latter books were trailing off and losing the edge that the former books had. There was obviously something going on there, and while I would love to continue to follow the stories of these vampires, as I loved some of the characters and felt some were overdue for more attention, I am glad that she stopped rather than continuing to put out books that were sliding more toward mediocrity. I suppose in a way, the end of her writing on the subject leaves me with one of the best things a fictional author can provide. Characters that I can play out continuously in my own mind. What would they do now is a question that each fan can individually answer on their own. As such, there is some gift in that.

Thu Nov 17, 07:57:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's been a while, but I've read about five Anne Rice novels. I felt the despair as somewhat apologetic (as in "defense of faith") - a despair that clamored for redemption. There is some kernel of that in her books. Some kernel that says: This is what it means to stop being human. This is what it means to reject the divine image. This is what it means to be in hell.

I would like to read Out of Egypt too. I might be tempted, however, to write a large P in front of her last name just to avoid drawing ire from every quarter. : )

Fri Nov 18, 12:49:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Wanderer - I guess I'd never seen what you're saying. For me, Rice's novels were more about post-religion than playing out the church's thinkning. Case in point: one of the central themes of Queen of the Damned is that Akasha is trying to bring the world back to a spiritual viewpoint, where the rest of the vampires are holding the viewpoint that the world has evolved away from religion and should not be brought backwards. The last book I read was Memnoch the Devil, so I haven't read the last few. I would hope that her moving towards Christianity would not make her a worse author!

Scott - It may be the state of mind I was in, but I never read the same "redemptive clamour" that you read in the books. I surely felt it myself, but it seemed to me that the characters were truely tragic - that is, they fully embraced the depths to which they had fallen without hope of change or salvation. Am I totally off?

Fri Nov 18, 05:08:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Grey Owl - in response to whether you are totally off, my opinion is that you are, but it is merely an opinion. I wasn't saying Christianity would ruin her as an author, just that it had apparently impacted her abilities in regards to the vampire and witch series'

Fri Nov 18, 05:36:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, have enjoyed some of Rice' vampire novels. I find vampirism to be a potent allegory for the human condition.

Wanderer,

I am not sure there is any more evidence that her return to her faith has negatively impacted her abilities in regards to the vampire novels than there is that her age is responsible. Do you have info I am not privy to that leads you to make this connection? I have not followed her of late, so I'd love to hear about anything you might know.

Peace,
Jamie

Fri Nov 18, 06:44:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Grey Owl, I think you're spot on. The vampires themselves do not clamor for redemption (with the exception, perhaps, of Louis) but their condition is one full of loneliness, darkness, and despair - especially in the light of redemption (a redeemed reader-response criticism, if you will). So as a new creature, I feel the despair poignantly. And the portrait of such beings makes my heart cry out for rescue.

I hope that makes some sense. I am not saying that it was the purpose of Anne Rice (though art does reflect the artist's heart) but that it was my response to the tragic characters she created.

The last book of hers that I read was Servant of the Bones. And while I did not think it was as well written or as compelling as Interview or Lestat, I did find it both intriguing and Christianly in many respects.

Fri Nov 18, 07:20:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Wanderer - Having not read her later books I'm not able to comment on her abilities and the impact of her faith journey on them. I intend to, though, and once I do I guess I'll weigh in on that particular issue.

Jamie - I've never looked at vampirism as a metaphor for the human condition. I know that there were deep-set sexual connotations in Rice's vampirism - the descriptions of drinking blood are filled with sensual imagery - but I hadn't thought about it in that way. Interesting...

Scott - I think I've felt the same way. It's a little odd feeling pain on behalf of a fictional character, but the feelings communicated are anything but imaginary. I'll have to pick up Servant somtime soon, I've ben without a good novel for a few months.

Anybody encounter any negative responses to Rice's conversion?

Fri Nov 18, 11:36:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger kekoa said...

Hi Dan-D :)

How are ya?

I think it makes so much more sense to write about vampires than to write about the "hidden years" of Jesus. Written in the first person. Please bring back the vampires, please!

Catholic in name? Most likely. Conservative RCC members would not embrace her novels, in fact they would be much more harsh than the evangelicals you are speaking of.

Dan-D, I would be stopping short, however, if I didn't challenge you to consider what you are filling up yourself with. What do you find that is edifying to the Spirit within you in what you are reading?

There was a time where I found that I no longer could sit through the movies I once did, read the books and magazines I once enjoyed. Are you growing in your desires for things that are pure? How are you moving forward in your journey of sanctification?

It's not about following rules, or rejecting them. It's about submission to Christ.

God bless~
kerri

Sat Nov 19, 10:07:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Kerri - A spontaneous attack based on books read rather than actions or the person themself. Obviously this is an enlightened attitude, and we should all bow to you.

I believe it was in Acts (Actually, such recollection is supplied by my father-in-law behind me who is more versed than I) that it was not so important what we ate. That what we ate didn't make us unclean, it was a question of who we were. Similarly speaking, simply stating someone has read something does not imply a destruction of their soul. If it did, how many would be lost by acknowleding that they had read the contents of, say, my blog prior to denouncing the Pagan practices of my brethren? Why attack your own when there are so many out there so much further from your spiritual position?

Jamie - I must admit I have at best little more knowledge than you on the subject. My indication was that I had already noticed the failing in the story content, and presumed the conversion to be the case in regards to that particular storyline. If you look back to my first post you will see that I didn't automatically assume such a link must be made, but rather attached my observance to the new piece of information. Not the least of which is that with her full conversion she abandoned the story. The waning in quality then could be presumed to be attached to the changes personally that led to this conversion. I certainly didn't mean to insinuate that I was and authority on this individual I have never met.

Sat Nov 19, 03:18:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Wanderer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sat Nov 19, 03:18:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Wanderer said...

I duplicated the preceding post somehow, so I removed the clone

Sat Nov 19, 08:17:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger kekoa said...

wanderer,
What?!?
You don't know me at all.
I wasn't attacking Dan-D, I'm sure he knew that.

Your youthfulness is showing in your attack on me and obvious lack of ability to discern the difference between iron sharpening and self-righteous attacks.

You are obviously quite a passionate person, but you over-reacted in this case.

Calm down! See my smile? I'm one the nice people in the world. :)

Dan-d please call off the dogs! ! !
God bless~
Kerri

Sat Nov 19, 09:07:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Kerri - welcome back! I agree that Conservative Catholics would be disapproving (in general) of her vampire and witch novels, but this new one? We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. And as far as finding them "edifyuing", well, I find them to be beautiful and harshly real in their descriptions of life and the world. It forces me to react and deal with the questions raised - which, incidently, are very similar to the ones brought up by some of the teens I work with. Thanks for checking, though, and nice to see you again!

Wanderer - Kerri wasn't attacking, believe me. The passage you're referring to is in one of the gospels, where Jesus says the evidence of what a person is on the inside comes not from what goes in (ie. food) but on what comes out (ie. our words/actions). While certainly applicable in this case, there is alot in Paul's letters that says to be careful of what you spend your time on - spending it on things that are "noble, pure, truth" etc. I don't have my bible on my right now so I can't get you a refernce. I don't have a problem being challenged by a friend like Kerri, someone with whom I have conversed and gained some level of relationship with. That is one of the core realities of Christianity; the iron sharpening iron (as she put it).

Sun Nov 20, 12:46:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger kekoa said...

Dan-D,
Glad you took my questions as they were intended.

I appreciate what you are saying, and respect your balanced approach.

Nothing I said was in any shape or form a self-righteous finger pointing, it was a question as to what you find in the books, as I have not read them.
Freedom balanced with holiness. It takes a lifetime to get that one down, doesn't it?
But now I'm off topic, so I'll just say, thanks for treating me kindly :)

Happy Thanksgiving ~

Mon Nov 21, 04:47:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Always a pleasure, Kerri. And your comments are always welcome. Take care.

Mon Nov 21, 10:46:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

I hope that there is not too much of the gnostic accounts in her new book. Having learned about the gnostic gospels I found them to be bizarre at the best of times.

Tue Nov 22, 01:53:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Kerri,
"Your youthfulness is showing in your attack on me and obvious lack of ability to discern the difference between iron sharpening and self-righteous attacks.

My youthfulness isn't showing. My being the target of many attacks that certainly aren't "iron sharpening" is showing. In truth, had you merely explained I was mistaken, I would have apologized. Instead, after I reacted to something based on not knowing you and your relationship with Dan, you turn around and make this rude comment in return without knowing me.

Or perhaps that wasn't rude either. Are you sharpening me now? If so, and if this wasn't a snide comment on your part, but a lesson, then tell me. How old must I get before I get this deep understanding I seem to be lacking? Do my IQ, education and ordination lower that number? How about what I have seen of the darker side of humanity through my juvenile criminal history, and subsequent military service?

Does the insight, gotten from living with a condition that they have only been able to say recently probably wasn't fatal (though they don't know what it is), about what is important in this world and what isn't weigh into your opinions of the level of maturity you seek for me to have?

Of course not, because you don't know me either. You don't know that I would have thanked you for being defensive of my friend, and merely pointed out that in this case it was unwarranted. My youthfulness for sure.

Overreacted in that case? No. That was mild. That was me pointing out that you seemed a little harsh. What you see here isn't overreacting either. Don't presume to be superior to me with your little "your youth is showing" garbage.

Dan - You say you have no problem having been challenged by her. As such, I apologize for presuming to defend you. Obviously it wasn't my place. I don't apologize for the above though. I believe you have seen enough on mine and the other blogs we both frequent to know that the derogatory nature of the quoted paragraph was highly unwarranted, even had I initiated an attack on her rather than attempting to defend you.

Tue Nov 22, 09:57:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

I'm in the midst of writing a post on communication in blogdom, so I'll save most of this for there. Let me just say this:

I understand where Wanderer is coming from. Having seen the barbs flung his way on other blogs (mostly by Christians, I'm sad to say) I can understand why he would react like that. I'm fortunate to have a friend who's willing to jump to my defense in the face of percieved attacks.

That being said, I don't think kerri was attacking you, wanderer, even with the "youthfulness" comment. Like you, she made a statement without knowing all the background. I'll be very surprised if there was any insulting/malicious intent.

I'm of the opinion that both of you (kerri and wanderer) would have hit it off had you met under other circumstances. And to be honest I'm angry at the "christians" who because of their judgmental and hateful nature have caused people (myself included) to react to ambiguous statements as hurtful even when they are not. And I'm angry that their sinfulness has spilled over and caused two of my friends out here in the Net to clash, when otherwise I think they would have been friends.

I'll write more this afternoon I hope.

Wed Nov 23, 10:14:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Wanderer said...

I apologize as well, to Kerri, Grey Owl, and the rest of you who read this exchange and quietly sat back.

One of the primary roles I have always found myself in is standing up for those who won't or can't stand up for themselves. This does lead me to be quick to jump to the foreground in such a perceived situation. I acknowledge there was an apparent misunderstanding on my point in this regard.

I also frequently (including an hour before reading that comment) find myself dealing with people who, having no actual refuting argument, take the position that the number of minutes between my birth and now, compared to theirs, settles the argument. The implication is that their volume of experience trumps mine. In most cases this isn't even close to true. I have spent way too much time in the trenches, and had more "experiences" in that time than I care to recall. My youthfulness was gone a long time ago.

I look into my daughter's eyes and see the innocence within. As if they are a window to her soul. It makes me smile. Yet I wonder at times if the windows shouldn't work in reverse, and if so why the picture she sees doesn't terrify her.

Please accept my apology again, Kerri, for perhaps projecting others onto you, and allowing timing to influence my perception of your words.

Thu Nov 24, 12:58:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Grey Owl said...

Wanderer - you'll have to ask Jamie about the time I jumped on someone at his blog when I was frustrated at someone else. It was only amusing in that I lost it so completely at someone I had just met who had no idea what I was about. Good times.

Thu Nov 24, 01:09:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger kekoa said...

Dear wanderer,

There is no superior attitude in me toward you. Just so you get to know me better, I don't attack people in e-mails, internet blogs or message boards.

If you knew me, you would know that it was an over-reaction...I am not any of the things you accused me of being. But, you don't know me and so I should expect to be mis-understood from strangers from time to time. You were correct when you stated that I should have responded to you differently. I'm sorry.

I'm not mad at you, wanderer, and my post was meant to be more of a light hearted jab but it was in poor taste. Please accept my apology.

I do not have any expectation of a level of maturity from you. Again, I think that you are reading more intensity in my writing than I mean to convey.


I'm tired from cooking all day for a Thanksgiving feast I served up to a small crowd of rowdy relatives, so I hope that this came across as gentle as it was intended.

Hey, we have something in common...I'm a wanderer too. No matter where I live, it somehow doesn't feel like I'm HOME.

Our next interaction will be better on my part :)

Kerri

Thu Nov 24, 11:26:00 p.m. 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home