Friday, December 23, 2005

Merry Christmahanakwanzaka!


Happy Holidays.

That's right, I said it. Happy Holidays. And have a good New Year while you're at it, too. I think the "War on Christmas" debate is one of the sillier things going on. Because we all know Jesus gave the discliples Ipods and candy in their sandals at the last supper and said, "Do this in remembrance of my birthday." But it begs the question; why do North American Christians think the best language to use is war/strife language? It can't be "The Debate about Christmas" or even "The Controversy about Christmas." Why so angry? Can't imagine why people would get the idea that Evangelicals are at war with the "sinners" of the world...

But. This is Christmas/Yule/Hanukkah/Kwanza, and in the spirit of Jolly Old Elves everywhere I'm not going to rant about it. Instead, here's a few things on my mind these days, and if you feel like reading ahead you'll see some of what's been "baking my noodle" these days.

So here's the list...

1. Maryellen (see sidebar) has posted her biggest piece yet on the free-will/predestination debate. While I disagree with her conclusions, it's still a good read. That, and Maryellen happens to be one of the sweetest ladies I've met here on the Net, and yet she attracts all manner of folk denouncing her and her questioning as heresy. I've taken to defending her simply because I can't stand watching someone as gentle and kind as her being attacked. If anyone else out there feels like stepping up and helping out, you can find the post here. There's already over 50 comments and it's only been 3 days...

2. I've been taking those little "What Kind of ____ Are You?" quizzes, and I'm addicted. I know I am.

3. Our house is nearly done, but it's still a few weeks away. Final push is upon us!

4. I'm trying to dialogue with several Critics of the emerging church movement - I've decided to engage with them, hear them out and try to find some common ground. I'm convinced we're more alike than we are different, so hopefully some fruit comes of this.

5. Jamie's Urban Seminary posts have been attracting alot of attention. I've read them all (despite my absence in the comments) and really enjoyed them - if you haven't read them yet please do so.

6. Here's a quote by Phillips Brooks, "The earth has grown old with it's burden of care, but at Christmas it is always young, its soul full of music braks the air when the song of the angels is sung." I love Christmas.

7. Final Ishmael post is going to wait until the New Year, because I'm a lazy punk. And Jamie and I really need to get some coffee/tea/drink beverage and talk about it first...

That's about it for now - I'll update after Christmas sometime. InN the meantime, have a great time off however long it may be, and don't drink too much eggnog. Let's make sure Rudolf is the only one with a red nose this year, k?


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Grey Owl,

I couldn't agree with you more about the "war" issue. In fact, if I agreed anymore, I'd be YOU!

Let's get together in the New Year.

Peace,
Jamie

Fri Dec 23, 12:41:00 p.m. 2005  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Oh, sure, address the question of the silliness of this "War on Christmas" debate but leave the other side out. I see how you are. :)

P.S. Look at the comments and see that not only have we surpassed 50 by a margin, but us outsiders defend her too.

Sat Dec 24, 01:32:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Sun Dec 25, 12:05:00 a.m. 2005  
Blogger kekoa said...

Merry Christmas Dan-D.
I'm with ya on Christmas and Chanukah, but what in the heck is Kwanza anyway?

Christmas as an adult doesn't compare to that of childhood. My attmept each year to keep things simple and serene never meet my expectations. The goal this year was for my 3yo to answer the Christmas question a little better:
"honey, what is Christmas really about?" HER ANSWER: "ME!"

Now she chimes happily that it is about Jesus being born, as well as herself and santa so that is progress.

As far as the Christmas war....nostalgia has a part in it, I think. Each generation tends to look back to the one 40 years previous and think that was the golden age of family, God, and opportunity and innocence.

Heeding scripture's wise words to not long for the days of past is a good way to keep the war on Christmas in perspective, I think. But, wouldn't you love to raise your kids in a world like The Cleavers (please tell me that you aren't too young or too Canadian to know the Leave it to Beaver show) ? So, I see the point of longing. However, we are all here for such a time as now, I suppose...and this temporary place will never seem like home to me....

Okay, that was some serious rambling. Guess the sleep aid I took is kicking in!

Tue Dec 27, 12:09:00 a.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kerri,

Kwanzaa is an African-American holiday than spans a week, starting on December 26th. It celebrates the heritage of African American history, though many other African populations outside of Africa celebrate it. It is less than 40 years old.

That's the Coles Notes version.

Peace,
Jamie

Tue Dec 27, 05:31:00 p.m. 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the wierd thing about the 'christmas' kerfuffle from the theocrats is that we stole it in the first place. Jesus wasn't born on Dec 25 - early christians just figured the feast of the rebirth of the sun would be a good celebration to stick the creche and shepherds on. Nothing wrong with that. But the idea that we should take offence over someone else doing something to our holiday is absurd.

Anyway, we've still got one [Pentecost] that hasn't been secularized/commercialized. Maybe we could come up with something - bunnies are taken, fat men too, deer, .... maybe Perry the Pentecost Penguin or something. We could celebrate by exchanging flammables and saying nonsense rhymes.

Fri Dec 30, 12:41:00 p.m. 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home